Friday, November 25, 2005

End Gerrymandering

There is one fundamental change that can return political power to voters in New York and several other states. We can change the process of redistricting.

After every census political boundaries are redrawn. In New York politicians control the process. The result is incumbent and/or partisan protection. Although my Congresswoman Louise Slaughter’s district does not look like a salamander, a look at the map will convince you that something other than pure logic is at work.

The net effect of the map of my district was the loss of one Democratic seat and the provision of a safe district for Congressman Tom Reynolds, Republican. Perhaps it was so he can give more of his time to enlarging the Republican majority in the House.

In Texas there was a different result. The money and influence of Tom Delay led to an increase of five new Republican House members in Washington, giving him even more power. Of course he is now under indictment for laundering some money in the process.

The redistricting for the 2002 elections here in New York frustrated me a good deal. At the time I lived in Tom Reynolds’ district. That made me even madder. At a banquet where Louise Slaughter was keynote speaker, I offered three draft choices and a player to be named later to swap Representatives. I eventually moved and am now in her district.

I have to credit Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger for making me aware of an alternative. We can at least somewhat de-politicize the redistricting process with a nonpartisan commission. Pity the Governor got greedy and tried to change everything at once.

So I have been lobbying for a commission with my political friends and party leaders ever since. I suggested it in a meeting this fall with a party executive. He immediately let me know that this was a nonstarter in New York. Why would the Republicans and Democrats in Albany, “Give up their power?” Why, indeed?

Now there is a starter for the idea in my state. State Attorney General Elliot Spitzer has made it a part of his platform in his run for Governor. The Buffalo News beat me to the keyboard with an editorial supporting his call for reform the next day.

We have about five years to make this happen in New York. We can support Spitzer’s call for redistricting reform, make it a big part of the election for governor during this next year and put the pressure on party and legislative leadership. Let’s elect them rather than having them choosing us!

If you want more information about models for reform visit The United States Elections Project.

No comments: