Saturday, October 28, 2006

Who Was Marlin McKeever?

Life after 60. When I started this blog I promised that I would make that one of my topics. I am sure that everything I have written is colored by that, but I have written little about it directly.

Yesterday Marlin McKeever fell in his home. I saw the notice online.

Marlin McKeever was a football player, one of the best of his time. He loved the game so much that he played several positions, and played them well. At USC his last two years he was their leading receiver. He had even been a punter. I guess I first took note of him because his twin brother Mike played for USC too. Both of them were good. Tragically both of them are now dead because of head injuries.

When you are younger you lose people around you who die untimely deaths. Foremost in my life have been Sandy and Bucky, my cousins and like me the oldest children in their families. I also remember the loss of heroes and public figures; chiefly two Kennedys, a King and a Lennon. But when you get into your sixties headlines with names from the past jump out at you.

Marlin McKeever was a linebacker in the NFL, one of the best of his time. When I watch football, I key in on linebackers and how they play. The best were among my heroes including Chuck Bednarik and Dick Butkus.

I always enjoyed watching Marlin McKeever play. Thanks for the memories Marlin McKeever!

My condolences go out to your family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the nice words and memories about Marlin McKeever. In addition to being a great athlete, he was also a great father, grandfather, uncle, etc. We all miss him and his sense of humor a lot.
The McKeever's