Tuesday, December 18, 2007

A Proper Forum

Let me state that I have been a fan of Roger Clemens for a long time.

I always thought he was destined to be a first ballot inductee into Cooperstown.

I also urged him to stay home last year and I don' t think a 6-6 record and a 4.18 ERA proved me wrong.

He has just issued a statement denying that he used steroids.

Let me also state that I have always admired Senator George Mitchell who is after all from a state that is as close to "home" as I have. He has made many truly great contributions to his state, to his country and to the world.

Maybe he was put into an impossible situation. Here again everyone in professional baseball has to share some blame. The steroid era existed because Baseball turned a blind eye. From a commissioner who was an owner to greedy owners and equally greedy players, the game that I love was tarnished and will forever have asterisks and footnotes. To try to cover for intentional blindness the commish turned to a highly respected former Senator, but gave him no power. He had no standing with the union and he had no subpoena powers.

I read his report, not all of it, but the nine or so pages that mention Clemens and Pettitte and others. In no other forum would such hearsay be permissable. At least not in our society.

The report cannot be the end of it. There must be a legal setting where Clemens, Pettitte and others can defend themselves.

That's the American way and Baseball deserves nothing less.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jack. Just stopping by. Nice blog. You need to get more people on it. I personally don't know much about professional baseball. I have never been particularly passionate about pro sports in general. Did you become passionate about it after you came to the states. How long were you in the phillipines anyway?

Jack Norton said...

My father raised me on Baseball. I don't think these were ever his words, but baseball is a metaphor for the American way of life. That's just as true today as it was in the 20th century. I will continue the story by sharing the trip back east after our 4 years in the Philippines.