Thursday, November 02, 2006

Don't Come Back This Time Roger

First Ballot Hall of Fame. No doubt about that.

But, it is time to hang up the spikes, Rocket. You have had a great career; been a dominating power pitcher even in your 40's. Many of your games are classics, including two with 20 strikeouts, still a record. Your place in the game is secure, don't sully it.

You are quoted today as saying, "Full season, half season or at all, I haven't even thought about it," "I just think it's too early to think about it. ... Right now, I don't have any thoughts of playing or not playing."

I have thoughts. The rules of free agency gave you an out this year. Houston failed to pick up your option and they could not talk to you until May. So, you came back in June and pitched well for mere mortals (7-6, ERA of 2.30). From what I saw you were good, but not great.

I have another reservation. The baseball season is long, 162 games, guys get dinged and play through pain. It is not good for the game to have a potential Hall of Famer get a pass for half the season. Play the whole season or retire. That is what everyone else did, it is time for you to live by those rules.

I have another more selfish thought. I want you to retire. I want to still be around to join you in Cooperstown at your Hall of Fame induction.

No comments: